I am an online tutor. I tutor Maths and English. My classes will be interactive and interesting. I am very much interested in online tutoring. I would like to teach children from all countries in the world.
My educational qualification is
My skype id : selviraveendran
Phone number: 9442624629
Subject verb agreement simply means the subject and verb must agree in number. This means both need to be singular or both need to be plural.
Subject/Verb Agreement Examples
Here are some examples of subject verb agreement (the subject is bolded and the verb underlined):
My dog always growls at the postal carrier.
Basketballsroll across the floor.
I don’t understand the assignment.
These clothes are too small for me.
Peter doesn’t like vegetables.
Compound subjects (two subjects in the same sentence) usually take a plural verb, unless the combination is treated as singular in popular usage or the two subjects refer to the same thing or person. Here are some examples of subject verb agreement with compound subjects:
Sugar and flourare needed for the recipe.
Neither my dad nor my brothersknow how to ski.
Pepperoni and cheeseare great on a pizza.
Corned beef and cabbageis a traditional meal in Ireland. (popular usage)
The creator and producer is arriving soon. (both refer to same person)
When using “or” or “nor” in a compound subject containing a singular and plural subject, the verb agrees with the closest subject. Examples of compound subjects using or, neither-nor, or either-or include:
My mom or dad is coming to the play. (singular)
Neither gray nor white is my favorite color. (singular)
Either Grandpa or my sistersare going to the park. (closest subject is plural)
Either my sisters or Grandpa is going to the park. (closest subject is singular)
Neither she nor I am going to college. (closest subject is singular)
Singular Indefinite Pronouns
Here are some examples of subject verb agreement with singular indefinite pronouns:
Eachgets a trophy for playing.
Somebodywill pay for this.
Anybody is more fun than you.
Something is very wrong here.
Everybody enjoys a good book.
Nothinghas been determined as of yet.
Plural Indefinite Prounouns
Here are some examples of subject verb agreement with plural indefinite pronouns:
Bothare qualified for the job.
Manywent to the beach and got sunburned.
Fewknow what it really takes to get ahead.
Severalare already on location.
Some sugar is required for taste. (sugar is uncountable so singular verb used)
Most of the cookies were eaten. (cookies are countable so plural verb used)
Midsentence Phrase or Clause
Here are some examples of subject verb agreement with a phrase or clause between the subject and verb:
A theory of physics ascertains that a body in motion stays in motion.
A virus in all the company’s computers is a real threat to security.
The causes of this prevalent disease are bad diet and lack of exercise.
The couch and chair I got at the store look really nice in here.
The members of the choir are very happy with the performance.
Collective nouns can be singular or plural depending on meaning. Here are some examples of subject verb agreement with collective nouns:
The committee meets here every Thursday. (singular)
The crowd is getting angry. (singular)
The juryhas finally reached a decision. (singular)
The majority rules most of the time. (plural)
The staffhave gone their separate ways for the holidays. (plural)
Here are some examples of subject verb agreement with inverted subjects where the subject follows the verb:
While grammar is not as static a science as is typically assumed, there are 20 rules ofsubject verb agreement that attempt to objectify part of the English language form. Most of the concepts of subject verb agreement are straightforward, yet some aspects of singular and plural usage in English grammar are more complicated.
Consider the second person plural pronoun y'all as it's used in the southern American dialect, for example. Addressing a group of people in the second person using standard English is inefficient and requires more words.
A sentence like I want to talk to all of you sitting at the table in standard English can be accomplished quite simply in southern American dialect with the sentence I want to talk to y'all.
Consequently, the 20 rules of subject verb agreement will vary somewhat by dialect.
What Are the Rules?
1. Subjects and verbs must agree in number. This is the cornerstone rule that forms the background of the concept.
The dog growls when he is angry. The dogs growl when they are angry.
2. Don’t get confused by the words that come between the subject and verb; they do not affect agreement.
The dog, who is chewing on my jeans, is usually very good.
4. When sentences start with “there” or “here,” the subject will always be placed after the verb, so care needs to be taken to identify it correctly.
There is a problem with the balance sheet. Here are the papers you requested.
5. Subjects don't always come before verbs in questions. Make sure you accurately identify the subject before deciding on the proper verb form to use.
Does Lefty usually eat grass? Where are the pieces of this puzzle.
6. If two subjects are joined by and, they typically require a plural verb form.
The cow and the pig are jumping over the moon.
7. The verb is singular if the two subjects separated by and refer to the same person or thing.
Red beans and rice is my mom's favorite dish.
8. If one of the words each, every, or no comes before the subject, the verb is singular.
No smoking or drinking is allowed. Every man and woman is required to check in.
9. If the subjects are both singular and are connected by the words or, nor, neither/nor, either/or, and not only/but also the verb is singular.
Jessica or Christian is to blame for the accident.
10. The only time when the object of the preposition factors into the decision of plural or singular verb forms is when noun and pronoun subjects like some, half, none, more, all, etc. are followed by a prepositional phrase. In these sentences, the object of the preposition determines the form of the verb.
All of the chicken is gone. All of the chickens are gone.
11. The singular verb form is usually used for units of measurement or time.
Four quarts of oil was required to get the car running.
12. If the subjects are both plural and are connected by the words or, nor, neither/nor, either/or, and not only/but also, the verb is plural.
Dogs and cats are both available at the pound.
13. If one subject is singular and one plural and the words are connected by the words or, nor, neither/nor, either/or, andnot only/but also, you use the verb form of the subject that is nearest the verb.
Either the bears or the lion has escaped from the zoo.Neither the lion nor the bears have escaped from the zoo.
14. Indefinite pronouns typically take singular verbs. *
Everybody wants to be loved.
15. * Except for the pronouns (few, many, several, both, all, some) that always take the plural form.
Few were left alive after the flood.
16. If two infinitives are separated by and they take the plural form of the verb.
To walk and to chew gum require great skill.
17. When gerunds are used as the subject of a sentence, they take the singular verb form of the verb; but, when they are linked by and, they take the plural form.
Standing in the water was a bad idea. Swimming in the ocean and playing drums are my hobbies.
18. Collective nouns like herd, senate, class, crowd, etc. usually take a singular verb form.
The herd is stampeding.
19. Titles of books, movies, novels, etc. are treated as singular and take a singular verb.
The Burbs is a movie starring Tom Hanks.
20. Final Rule – Remember, only the subject affects the verb!